Thursday, October 18, 2007

The Academic Multi-draft Writing Process

We have begun our training sessions in the formal academic writing process. After reading Patricia Polacco's delightful children's story The Bee Tree, we wrote an in-class "timed write" which we are now using to practice the
multi-draft, peer-editing technique that I've found so efficacious over the years. Each peer editor creates an “Editing Guide” (EG) for her author’s “Rough Draft” (RD) - in this case, the "timed write" we generated in class.
This EG, composed on a separate piece of paper, involves careful scrutiny of the RD in which the editor notes spelling, punctuation, grammatical and stylistic errors…LINE BY LINE! A multitude of reference materials stand at the ready to assist in this arduous task: dictionaries (online, electronic and hardbound), thesauri (i.e. more than one thesaurus!), and most notably, Diane Hacker’s A Writer’s Reference (henceforth referred to as Hacker – pretty much required equipment at most universities and even a few high schools I know.)

[Note: I will conduct further, intentional training sessions in the effective use of the Hacker after I've edited the class RRDs and have determined several writing issues we can use as examples! In the meantime, here's a direct quote from an alum email I received this past week: "I have been using my hacker a lot. I know exactly how to use it thanks to your guidance last year..."]

When all else fails, I even answer questions! Once the EG is complete, it is returned along with the RD to the author who then incorporates into her RD all the editorial suggestions that she deems valid, using a red pen so that my Gramma Sally eyes can discern the changes made. The author then creates a “Revised Rough Draft” (RRD) from her corrected RD. (Are you with me so far?) This draft, which is more often than not word-processed, is then submitted to me (along with the RD and EG) for further editing. At this point I scour the RRD for editorial issues, comparing my findings/impressions with both the RD and the EG. In this way, both the author and her editor are assessed in the writing/editing process. I, in turn, create my own EG for the RRD, which I submit to the author in a timely fashion. (My goal is always to have a 48-hour turn-over time, and I usually manage that.) The author then takes my EG and creates a “Final Draft,” (FD), incorporating my editorial corrections/suggestions. (The final draft packet consists of the RD, EG, RRD, my EG, and the FD – all of these drafts must be kept and submitted together for credit.) Thus, by the end of this rather intensive process, the author will have composed three drafts of her paper, as well as an editing guide for her partner’s paper. Each step along the way will be assessed for attention to detail as well as clarity and elegance of expression. If this sounds like a lot of work, IT IS … but it is also a failsafe way to improve both writing and editing skills.

At this point in the process, our "Bee Tree" RRDs will be discussed on Friday, and the Final Draft Packet will be due on Tuesday, October 23rd. As you might well imagine, there are two issues that make smooth sailing in the writing process rather problematical: frequent and/or extended absences and lack of preparation. Thus, I have encouraged our 8th graders to take good care of themselves AND to be sure that they have the appropriate draft(s) in hand at the beginning of a given core. I’ll let you know how it goes!

No comments: